Fines frequently asked questions (FAQs)

What happens if I don’t pay my court fine or fine which has been registered for enforcement?

If you don’t pay, we can:

  • clamp your car or vehicle and ultimately sell it to repay your fine
  • contact your employer and arrest your wages
  • contact your bank and arrange for any assets to be frozen
  • arrange with DWP for direct deductions from your benefits.

It is therefore important to get in touch with us if you are having genuine difficulty paying your fine.

I received a warning letter saying that my bank account might be frozen, my car could be clamped or my earnings or benefits deducted. I don't want that to happen. What should I do?

You should make payment or contact a fines enforcement officer as soon as possible. They can discuss a payment plan with you to prevent enforcement action being taken.

I want to pay my fine but I am struggling financially. What should I do?

If you are having genuine difficulty in paying a fine, get in touch with a fines enforcement officer who can give you help and advice to arrange payment.

Can I set up a payment plan?

It may be possible to pay in instalments or change an existing payment plan. You should send a Declaration of Income form to to allow us to consider a request for new payment terms.

Once we have the form we will look at the circumstances and history of your case and get back to you with our decision as soon as we can.

Can someone else pay my fine for me?

Yes, someone else can pay your fine for you. If the points endorsed on the driving record take the total to 12 or more you would be cited to court to be disqualified from driving.

What types of fines can I pay online?

Online payment is accepted for:

  • parking tickets issued by police traffic wardens
  • tickets issued by a police officer
  • fines issued by the Procurator Fiscal's Office
  • fines imposed by a sheriff court or justice of the peace court
  • Safety Camera Partnership and red light fines
  • endorsable fines (that do not take number of points above the statutory maximum)

When will I NOT be able to pay online?

Your fine can't be found

If your fine has been recently issued it may not have been registered on the system yet.

Your fine was issued by the council

This site does not accept payment for parking tickets or other fixed penalties issued on behalf of local authorities.

The final payment date has passed

Some fines can only be paid up to 28 days after they were issued.

An enforcement action has been applied to your fine

If your fine is overdue it may be subject to ongoing enforcement action and you may be unable to pay online. For further details you should contact a fines enforcement officer by calling 0300 790 0014 between 09:00 and 17:00 Monday to Thursday and 09:00 and 16.30 Friday (excluding public holidays).

Your account has been paid in full

If your account has a zero outstanding balance, no further action is required by you.

Your account has been closed

If your account has been closed (for example, if it has been withdrawn by the police ticket office) no further action is required by you.

Your account is locked

If you make too many incorrect attempts to enter the correct surname or vehicle registration your account will be locked and you will be unable to pay your fine online. For assistance you should call 0300 303 4558 between 9.30am and 4.45pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).

Your fine has been transferred to a non-Scottish court

You should continue to make payments to your nominated non-Scottish court and staff will send your payment to the appropriate Scottish court.

What information do I need to pay my fine online?

To pay your fine online you will need:

  • the fine reference number
  • the surname of the person who was fined - or the vehicle registration number if you wish to pay a parking ticket
  • endorsable fine - the ticket reference, surname, date of birth and licence number.

Where do I find my fine reference number?

Your fine reference number will be displayed on the ticket issued to you by the police or on documents sent to you by the court or Procurator Fiscal’s Office.

How can I check my driving record for penalty points or disqualification?

You can check your Driving Record by contacting the DVLA online here or by telephone by contacting the DVLA enquiry line on 0300 790 6801.

Is there a maximum I can pay online?

The online payment facility has a maximum limit of £10,000 per transaction.

Your online payment will be securely handled by eKashu, the creditcall online payment gateway.

eKashu Logo

How many fines does the Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service collect?

The Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service produces a report on the fines collected in Scotland which posted on the website every three months.

How do I contact a Fines Enforcement Officer?

The Fines Enforcement Team are available during the following hours, excluding public holidays:

  • Monday to Thursday from 09:00 to 17:00
  • Friday from 09:00 to 16.30


0300 790 0014


Alternatively you can request a call back by emailing your question and details to

Pay a fine

Right-hand Menu

Find and contact your court