The Advisory Council on Messengers-at-Arms and Sheriff Officers was established under Section 76(1) of the Debtors (Scotland) Act 1987.
- to advise the Court of Session on the making of Acts of Sederunt under section 75 of the 1987 Act; and
- generally to keep under review all matters relating to officers of court.
The criteria for membership of the Council are set out in section 76 of the Debtors (Scotland) Act 1987. The Lord Lyon holds office ex officio. The Lord Presidents appoints: a judge of the Court of Session (who shall act as chairman); two sheriffs principal; two officers of court; two solicitors; and such other persons as the Lord President considers appropriate. A further member is appointed by the Scottish Ministers. Members hold office for three years and are eligible for reappointment provided that they retain the qualifications for membership, where appropriate.
The current members of the Council are:
- The Hon. Lord Uist (Chairman)
- Sheriff Principal Murray
- Sheriff Principal Scott QC
- Mr. Roderick Macpherson - Officer of Court
- Mr. Stuart Hamilton - Officer of Court
- Mr. Frank McConnell - Solicitor
- Ms. Yvonne MacDermid - Money Advice Scotland
- Ms. Shelagh Cameron Mackay - Chartered Accountant
- Ms. Pauline Allan - Citizens Advice Scotland
- Kay McCorquodale - Scottish Government
- The Lord Lyon King of Arms
- Ms Angela McCraken, Solicitor
Section 51 of the Bankruptcy and Diligence etc. (Scotland) Act 2007, as amended and which came into force on 31 January 2011, provides that the Advisory Council must prepare a report on its activities during the whole of each financial year.