You can only use the simplified procedure if you can say yes to all of these statements:
- I am applying for divorce/dissolution because of the irretrievable breakdown of my marriage/partnership based on one year separation with consent or two years separation without consent, or because of the issue of an interim gender recognition certificate;
- There are no children of the marriage/partnership under the age of 16;
- There are no financial matters to sort out;
- I am not and there is no sign that my spouse or civil partner is not able to manage his or her affairs because of mental illness, personality disorder or learning disability;
- There are no other court proceedings under way which might result in the end of my marriage / civil partnership.
If you have said no to any of these questions, then you cannot use the simplified procedure and we would recommend seeking legal advice as the ‘ordinary’ /’non simplified’ procedure will need to be used.
More information including forms and guidance for the simplified/do it yourself procedure