The Scottish Civil Justice Council replaced the Court of Session Rules Council on 28 May 2013. The new Council will take over the rule drafting functions of this body and will also have a new, wider, role to advise and make recommendations on the civil justice system.
The creation of a single civil rules council for Scotland was one of the recommendations of the Scottish Civil Courts Review. Many of the review recommendations will need new rules of court and the Scottish Civil Justice Council, which will have oversight of the entire civil justice system, will be responsible for taking these forward. It will also be responsible for keeping the civil justice system under constant review.
The information on this page will remain for a time for reference. Please visit www.scottishciviljusticecouncil.gov.uk for more information.
The Council consists of the Lord President ex officio, two other judges of the Court of Session appointed by the Lord President, five members of the Faculty of Advocates appointed by the Faculty and five solicitors appointed by the Council of the Law Society of Scotland. Members hold office for three years and are eligible for reappointment provided that they retain the qualifications for membership.
- The Rt. Hon. Lord Gill, Lord President (Chair)
- Lord Menzies
- The Hon. Lady Dorrian
- Mr. Nicholas Ellis, Q.C., Faculty of Advocates
- Mr. Gerry J.B. Moynihan, Q.C., Faculty of Advocates
- Mr. Robert Milligan, Q.C., Faculty of Advocates
- Mr. Gavin MacColl, Faculty of Advocates
- Mr. Graeme Hawkes, Faculty of Advocates
- Mr. Gordon Keyden, Law Society of Scotland
- Mr. Robin Macpherson, Law Society of Scotland
- Mr. Duncan Murray, Law Society of Scotland
- Mr. Sydney Smith, Law Society of Scotland
- Mr. Fred Tyler, Law Society of Scotland
In addition to the members, the following persons are currently invited to attend meetings of the Council, in light of their respective interests in the Council's work:
- The Hon. Lord Hodge (being the judge with responsibility for the administration of first instance business in the Court of Session)
- Graeme Marwick, Principal Clerk of Session and Justiciary
- Gillian Prentice, Deputy Principal Clerk of Session
- Colin McKay, Scottish Government - Justice Directorate
- Kathryn MacGregor, Legal Secretary to the Lord President (Secretary to the Council)
- Chris Nicholson, Deputy Legal Secretary to the Lord President
Minutes of Meetings