Inverness Sheriff and Justice of the Peace Court is the second largest Court within the Sheriffdom of Grampian Highland and Islands.
The Court building is an imposing listed building situated at the top of a hill overlooking Inverness in the City Centre area. The Castle was erected in two parts in 1834 and 1846.
There are currently 3 court rooms (1 of which is in the North Tower along with an additional hearing room for restricted business). There are two resident Sheriffs and the Sheriff Principal of Grampian Highland and Islands is also based in Inverness. The Sheriffs and the Sheriff Clerk’s staff deal with a variety of business which fall into the categories of Criminal, Civil and Commissary.